is the home of Rutland Energy Assessors Limited (REAL) a leading provider of Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) and Display Energy Certificates (DECs). Rutland Energy Assessors Limited also provide a comprehensive energy efficiency consultancy service for both commercial and residential clients throughout the UK. Rutland Energy Assessors Limited also undertake air permeability testing, air conditioning inspections, sound test certificates and fire risk assessments in line with current UK legal requirements.
profile links contact home

green deal

About our services

Energy Performance Certificates

Air Permeability Test Certificates

Sound Test Certificates

Display Energy Certificates

Air Conditioning Inspections

Fire Risk Assessments


Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs)

Energy Performance Certificates are required for the sale of a property, the granting of a new lease or assignment of an existing lease. The commercial Energy Performance Certificate provides the owner of a property and the potential buyer with an energy efficiency rating. This allows the purchaser to make an informed decision on the carbon consumption of their investment and how they can make any potential savings on their energy costs.

Rutland Energy Assessors Limited are also qualified to undertake domestic energy assessments for any commercial properties that also have adjoining residential property, for example a shop with a flat above. The residential EPC can be included in our quote and completed at the same time as the commercial EPC.

What is an Energy Performance Certificate?

An Energy Performance Certificate rates a Commercial building in terms of its capability to use energy efficiently. The building is rated on a scale of A – G rather like white electrical goods. The rating is produced based on the building's CO2 emissions per m2 of floor area and provides details of where the building's energy is being used, i.e., Heating, Lighting and Cooling etc.

Why do I need an Energy Performance Certificate?

The European Performance of Buildings Directive requires all member states to certify a building's energy status in order provide occupants and building users with this information. In England and Wales it is an offence to construct, sell or lease a building without providing an Energy Performance Certificate to potential Tenants, or Owner/Occupiers.

When will I need an Energy Performance Certificate?

The legislation is being introduced in three stages and is dependent on the size of the building's floor area. For details see our links page. By Law, you are required to commission an Energy Performance Certificate prior to any marketing activity so as to enable its assessment and production.

How often will I need an Energy Performance Certificate?

Energy Performance Certificates are valid for 10 years, regardless of whether the building is resold, released or re-let within this time period.

How much will an Energy Performance Certificate cost?

The cost of the Energy Performance Certificate will depend on the complexity of the building layout and the building services. It will also depend to a large extent on what information building owners can provide, e.g., drawings, specifications, building services logbook, etc. At Rutland Energy Assessors Limited, we have a structured approach to developing EPC’s which provides accurate certification at a competitive price.

How long will it take?

From appointment, we will aim to provide you with an Energy Performance Certificate within 5 days to enable you to meet your legal obligations and fulfil your marketing commitments.

What's the benefit of getting an EPC?

It is envisaged that many building Owners and Landlords will view the requirement of having to provide an EPC for their building as an extra financial burden. With this in mind, we aim to help our Clients meet their minimum legal requirements. As an additional service, we can use the data collected to produce an EPC or a DEC as a tool to help our client reduce future energy costs.

What is a Display Energy Certificate (DEC)?

A Display Energy Certificate rates a Public building in terms of its capability to use energy efficiently. The building will be rated from A – G and will provide information to the public about how much CO2 it is currently producing.

Who will need a Display Energy Certificate and when will they need one?

Any building with a floor area more than 1000m2 and that is frequently visited by members of the public requires a Display Energy Certificate as of 1st October 2008.

Why use Rutland Energy Assessors Limited?

At Rutland Energy Assessors Limited we pride ourselves on 'getting it right' and providing REAL Efficiency. We have the experience and the proven expertise to offer you a high quality service to meet your individual requirements.